Background

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wonder Working Power


I was reflecting on the awesome saving power of Christ evident in Phil Robertson's life (from Duck Dynasty), and the transformation he described in the video that I shared yesterday (on FB), in which Phil shares his testimony.  I thought how strong God's power is to be able to truly change a life headed one way, and yet totally transform it as they accept the gospel, and then go on to proclaim it so boldly themselves. 

Josh and I then discussed Saul (who later became Paul), and how he killed and persecuted Christians, but after a powerful conversion experience on the Damascus Road, He went on to proclaim Christ and even wrote letters which make up a lot of the New Testament.  The infallible, God breathed Word of God came from a man who used to kill the very people that he became one of.  That wasn’t anything Paul could claim to have done on his own, it was all GOD.  God revealed Himself to Saul, and changed his heart to be turned to Him.  This is the same power that changed Phil’s life.

Praise the Lord that I have the same testimony!  God’s saving power has changed mine!  Now I’m not perfect by any means, and I still mess up royally when I battle my flesh and give into it.  But I have seen the cross as something done BY me (because of my sin), therefore, seeing His death as something done FOR me, has compelled me to live my life FOR Him, in obedience to Him, and not myself.  As Phil said in his video, he realized “that was an awful kind thing for someone to do for him (Jesus dying on the cross and taking his sin and making it His own).”  Salvation was life changing for me, when I realized this too, then repented and surrendered, vowing to live my life for Him until He calls me home VS praying a prayer and knowing I had “fire insurance” from hell.  How silly to think that is all God requires or deserves from us! 

The very same God who brought Noah through a flood safely, parted the Red Sea for His people, calmed a storm, healed lepers, made blind people see, raised Lazarus from the dead, changed Saul/Paul’s life, saved Phil Robertson, also saved ME and I just think that is pretty AWESOME!!!  I’m not the same person I was before.  Neither are any of those people after God radically SAVED and changed each of them.  If you claim to know that power first hand as well, but it doesn’t excite you anymore, that would lead me to pause and ask WHY.  Ask God to search your heart and “work out your salvation with fear and trembling” as the Bible says.  If you’ve never experienced this transforming power in your own life, then may I suggest, or should I say urgently plead with, you to know The God of the Bible today!  It’s NOT just a storybook.  Like Phil said, the Bible is too great for sinful people to just think up on their own. 

What hope do you have if you don’t have your hope in Jesus?  What meaning do you have in your life if you’re not living a life lived for Jesus?  I was there!!  I was coasting along in life, self seeking, pleasing myself, and yet never being totally fulfilled.  There was always a void, always a longing, and always an empty feeling behind my mask I wore well.  Jesus can fill you up, though, and change all that!  People often times think that you have to get “cleaned up” or change your lifestyle BEFORE you can get right with God.  That is a lie from Satan himself!  He discourages and wants to deter you from making the biggest and best decision of your life!  You come to Jesus and surrender your ALL (no one ever said the price was low or it would be easy), and He will give you SO much more than you could ask for, imagine, or dream up on your own.  HE will clean you up as you grow in Him…you DON’T have to do that yourself!  You CAN’T!  It’s impossible!  Don’t think you’ve done too much wrong, you’re in too deep, what will people think, they’ll think you’re a fraud, etc.  None of that matters!  Your eternal security and having a relationship with the Creator of this world is what matters. 

There was a saying I heard many years ago in my youth group, and it was said by a young man in 1980 from Rwanda that was forced by his tribe to either renounce Christ or face certain death. He refused to renounce Christ, and he was killed on the spot. The night before he had written the following commitment which was found in his room:

“I’m part of the fellowship of the unashamed, the die has been cast, I have stepped over the line, the decision has been made- I’m a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away or be still.

My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed vision, worldly talking, cheap giving & dwarfed goals.

My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I won’t give up, shut up, let up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up for the cause of Jesus Christ.

I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till everyone knows, work till He stops me & when He comes for His own, He will have no trouble recognizing me because my banner will have been clear.”

That is all this blog post is about.  I’m not giving up or shutting up about the saving power of Christ until that final day that he calls me home, too!!!  Until then, may I glory in Him alone and be a faithful daughter of the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment